Sunday, October 21, 2012

How does Ms. Erin do it?? Not only does she show up every day looking fabulous, she shows up with an amazing positive attitude. She gives her all (and then some) every day with these kids, and then works several nights a week bartending at Napoleon's. Oh, and did I mention, she lives in Lawrenceville? So, after a day of child wrangling and shot slinging, she hits the treacherous road back to the OTP, gets maybe 3 hours of sleep, and starts all over again. So how, I want to know, HOW is she able to run multiple laps on the playground every day at recess with the class? Honestly, I don't know. But I'm glad she does, because our kids are turning into regular track and field superstars.
 Every day this week at recess, the gang raced around the playground path. A month ago, some of these children couldn't even make it halfway around without getting winded, but now poor Erin is eating their dust!
Of course, with any competitive activity comes conflict.  And with conflict comes a chance to grow and learn. Not only are the students becoming stronger and faster, they are learning to be gracious winners and losers. We have had several after-recess discussions about fair play, sportsmanship, and, most importantly, personal best. No doubt, it's hard to lose. Losing is never fun; many kids (and adults) struggle to lose gracefully.  We spend a lot of time teaching children to work together to reach group goals, but sometimes forget to show them how to reach personal goals. Children need to learn both cooperation and competition.  Part of being a strong competitor is learning that winning doesn't always mean being first. Trying your best, showing improvement through dedication and practice--that is how you achieve your personal best. No, you might not always come in first place, in fact, you might not ever come in first place, but you will feel a sense of pride knowing that you worked hard. The truth is, nobody gets better just by showing up. To quote the great prophet Ru Paul, "You better work!".


When it comes to songwriting, however, these kids are all winners. Here's our most recent composition: "The Twelve Days of Halloween", written, of course, by the students of the Haunted Class. See if you can figure out which lines belong to your child. Grrrruesomely Grrreat!

On the First day of Halloween my Vampire gave to me...



 An
exploding slow walking
zombie
On the Second day of Halloween my Vampire gave to me...


 2 determined demons



 On the third day of Halloween my Vampire gave to me...
 3 vampire bats



On the fourth day of Halloween my Vampire gave to me...
4 decepticons



On the fifth day of Halloween my Vampire gave to me...
 5 scary bowsers

On the sixth day of Halloween my Vampire gave to me...
6 frankensteins


On the seventh day of Halloween my Vampire gave to me...
7 stinky shreks


On the eighth day of Halloween my Vampire gave to me...
8 king boos


On the ninth day of Halloween my Vampire gave to me...
9 autobots
On the tenth day of Halloween my Vampire gave to me...

 10 cut off hands
On the eleventh day of Halloween my Vampire gave to me...
 11 MJ thrillers


On the twelfth day of Halloween my Vampire gave to me...
 12 bloody humans




No comments:

Post a Comment