Sunday, December 16, 2012

I was working for Atlanta Public Schools when there was a shooting at the courthouse. The fugitive, Brian Nichols, had escaped and was armed. My school, less than a mile from downtown, went into hard lock down.  Inside the school we had no idea what was happening, but we knew what the announcement "Mr. Green, please report to the office" meant. We had been trained for this moment, though we never expected to live it. Blinds were pulled, doors were locked.  I remember my heart pounding as my assistant and I tried to maintain normalcy for the 12 students in our room. At the time, we had 8 students ranging from the ages of five to seven. We read some books, played with blocks, ate a snack, sang some songs. The lock down was over by dismissal time, though Nichols wasn't apprehended until much later. Sadly, 3 people lost their lives that day. I'm sure some of the older classes were aware that something was amiss. The students in our room, however, were unaware of anything happening outside the safe cocoon of the classroom.


 "Our job is to keep you safe."
Erin, Roxy and I say that so often, it's become our mantra.
"Why can't I lean back in my chair?"
"Because it is our job to keep you safe."
"Why did  he have to go to the engine room after he threw the book?"
"Because it is our job to keep you safe."
"Why can't I run around the class while I eat my lunch?"
"Because it is our job to keep you safe."
"Why are you always telling me I can't do that???"
"Because it is our job to keep you safe."

 Every child deserves to feel safe at school.

  I have shed tears for the children who lost their lives on Friday, many of whom share the same birth year as my own sweet little girl. I can't even begin to imagine the pain in the hearts of their parents.

 I also grieve for the surviving teachers and students. Their sense of security has been brutally stripped away from them. I hope they can find a way to feel safe again.

Sorry to be such a downer, folks, but all other words fail me.  I'm sure I speak for Erin, Roxy, and each and every person who works with our wonderful students at Hirsch: We love your kids, we value your kids, and our top priority is to make sure that no matter what kind of ugliness goes on outside the walls of the school, they feel safe inside.  



No comments:

Post a Comment