Friday, August 30, 2013

Of Power Suits and Purposeful Teaching



I started my teaching career a bazillion years ago in A________ Public Schools. I remember my first new teacher training: Hundreds of young, bright eyed teachers packed into a dimly lit warehouse somewhere in southeast Atlanta. We sipped tepid coffee as we listened to a woman in a yellow, heavily shoulder-padded suit  (aka: the late '80s "Working Girl" Power Suit) espouse the importance of daily lesson plans. "The most important part of your plan," she said, "is to show the Georgia Performance Standard that matches each activity. Only one standard per activity, please. Too many standards make it unclear to your principal what you are working on." In front of me sat a notebook the size of 5 telephone books, crammed full of these standards. Page after page after page. I felt panicked and confused. How would I ever figure out which standard went with which lesson? I mean, if I was teaching place value to 3rd graders, would that fall under

State Standard M2D1: Students will solve problems 

or

State Standard M2P3: Students will communicate mathematically?



There were also "highly suggested" activities for planning the actual lessons.  For example, when working on Place Value, we could choose from:

a workbook page with fill in the blank (aka "cloze" in teacherese) activities
a workbook page with multiple choice activities
a workbook page with true or false questions



Once I hit the classroom, I found several things to be true about lesson plans:

1. It was darn near impossible to match one activity with only one "standard". Don't get me wrong, matching standards with activities is a good thing. As a teacher, I always have goals in mind when working with children.  Personal goals, developmental goal, and yes, even state standards. But one activity usually meets a multitude of Performance Standards. Additionally, one activity might target different goals for different students.
2. While there is nothing wrong with a workbook page here and there, one size does not fit all. And, frankly, workbooks are pretty darn boring to me. No matter if it's filling in blanks or coloring in bubbles, I just wasn't that thrilled about using them.
3. Who the heck has time to write lesson plans that include every standard known to man??? I didn't get into this teaching gig to spend my days poring over a lesson planner. I wanted to actually spend time with my students. I wanted to plan fun, engaging activities that targeted the needs of each child. What I did not want to do was to spend my valuable planning time writing sorting through the Performance Standard manual searching. After a month or so, I knew what my kids knew, I knew what my kids didn't know, and I knew what I wanted to teach them.

 I won't bore you with the number of times I was called into the Principal's office (she also had a closet full of Power Suits...where do they buy those??).

 "Ms. Lockwood, there are 3 standards for this one lesson. One standard per lesson, please."
"Ms. Lockwood, writing the math problem in sand was not one of your choices for this standard."

and later:

"Ms. Lockwood, why have you not turned in lesson plans for the past two weeks?"


So began my downward spiral. First, I was written up for a "violation". Eventually, I was put on a "Professional Development Plan" for non-compliant teachers.  Ha! What a rebel I was!
The funny thing was, no one ever actually came to my room to observe whether or not I was teaching. But, boy howdy, were they serious about getting those lesson plans in to the front office on time.


So just imagine what A_________ Public Schools would think of one of our math lessons for this week.





Estimation Station











Noodles. One big jar, one small jar. The children made their initial guesses on Monday as to how many noodles were in each jar. We compared jars, explained our guesses. On Thursday, we reviewed the guesses. After hearing our friends' ideas, some of us adjusted our original guesses. Then we counted, starting with the large jar.

"How should we count?" I asked.
We had several suggestions: one at a time, 5 at a time, 10 at a time.
"How should we do this?"
Another student suggestion, "Give us each 10 noodles."
"Hmmm...if you each got 10 noodles, then how many noodles are in the jar?"
"50!"
"Do you think there are more than 50 or less than 50?"
"More! Way more!"
"Let's give everyone 10 more! Then everyone will have..."
"100!"
"Who wants to count out the first 10 noodles?"

and so on.

As we counted, the noodles, we adjusted our guesses again...and again. The student were so excited and involved, and we s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d the lesson out for so long that we didn't even get to the small jar this week.

So,as a nod to my former employer, I will share a few of the Georgia Performance Standards targets we were hitting during this time:


Building new mathematical knowledge through problem solving.
Solving problems that arise in mathematics and in other contexts.
Applying and adapting a variety of appropriate strategies to solve problems.
Monitoring and reflecting on the process of mathematical problem solving.
Organizing and consolidating their mathematical thinking through communication.
Creating and use representations to organize, record, and communicate mathematical ideas.
Representing numbers using a variety of models.
Understanding the relative magnitudes of numbers using 10 as a unit and 100 as a unit.
Using mental math strategies such as benchmark numbers to solve problems.
Estimating to determine if solutions are reasonable...............................................................

Wait, WAIT! Where are you going? I wasn't done yet! There are hundreds more standards happening in this lesson!

Fine, I won't continue. What I will tell you, though, is that there was a purpose to this activity. Actually, more than one. Waaaay more. And the purpose for one child was not the same for every other child. Want to know what we were looking for with your child? I'd be happy to answer that. Want to know what you can do at home to continue to build these skills? I can help you with that, too. Want to hear more about my vast knowledge of State Performance Standards? Well, we can go there, too...


 But for now, however, I will show you some other awesome activities that we did this week.

Writing in our journals:







Practicing spelling words:







and making self portraits:







We also got to hang out with these guys:

Cyclops

Eros

Uranus and Gaia



 To help you understand what we've been reading, here's a video about the creation of the world, Greek Myth style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHNae-ym9Z4



We introduced the students to the different types of rocks, thanks to Bill Nye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGfco7kNzJA


One of the coolest moments this week was when the students actually tied together the forming of the Earth, according to the Greeks, and the forming of rocks, according to, well, Bill Nye (wait, he didn't discover this?)


We spent some more time with this little fella during read aloud

Stuart Little
as we learned some cool nautical vocabulary terms (rigging, mast) and cheered him to a toy boat racing victory.


But the best thing about this week? NO YELLOW POWER SUITS WERE INVOLVED (though I really think Leslie would look good in one).


Have a great LONG weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment